What did you want to do when you were a child?
I wanted to be an aircraft pilot.
I used to read books about a pilot called Biggles. It was all very boys own adventure stuff. Biggles and his trusty companions foiled the dastardly deeds of numerous villains (usually foreigners) invariably using an aeroplane.
What do you do for a living?
I am a student at the moment.
What do you like about your job?
I like the freedom to find out more about things which have always interested me. In the process I also meet interesting people with whom I have things in common.
What you don’t like in your current profession/job?
Well the pay isn’t very good.
5 things you truly love:
- My children even though they are no longer children.
- Books, I find it impossible to pass a bookshop and not buy a book. Sometimes I even try to write.
- Mountains, I spend a lot of time in the mountains of Scotland, I like refining my skills as a mountaineer.
- The Sea, I dive in it and sail on it. I love activities which are challenging but rewarding.
- Music, I love listening to music especially when combined with interesting lyrics. Sometimes I try to play it.
5 things you absolutely hate:
- Today’s politics, it is vile and cynical and represents the worst in all of us.
- The dumbed down culture of today, where true creative endeavour has been replaced by spectacle.
- Career politicians, individuals driven by career progression not principle.
- Reality TV shows where the object is to humiliate some poor deluded soul who thinks the have talent for the gratification of a baying mob.
- Faux humanity and sense of community attempted by radio and tv hosts.
5 things that inspire you
- Education, despite numerous assaults the old adage is still true “If you think education is expensive, try stupidity”
- The NHS is a great thing despite its problems.
- Idealists who stick to their principals and challenge the quick easy “solutions” of populists.
- Great writing that can take you to another place or make you think differently.
- Great music that can take you to another place.
Your self-control failures:
The bravest decisions/achievements in life:
- Moving from London to Scotland chasing quality of life.
- Retiring early to pursue Educational interests.
What are your dreams that you wish to work on:
- I have some sailing dreams as yet unfulfilled, an interest in psychology continues and though retired would like to work in this field.
What do you collect?
Do you have a talisman/mascot that you believe brings you luck? If so, what is it?
I have a special fork that I always eat with.
Typical words or phrases you keep saying while talking:
- Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water
- To put it in context
- Fascist bast*rd
- I heard on the radio that ..
What help do you need to live happier?